According to CalcPark.com https://calcpark.com/password-strength-checker/, you can beat the hackers by choosing a password long enough (at least 12 characters). A strong password is also difficult to guess because it consists of random characters only rather than meaningful words. A strong password basically looks like this: S + GfV $% # Rae8.
The time it takes for a hacker to crack your passwords depends on mainly the following factors:
- Number of characters (the longer, the better)
- The type of characters used in the password (the more variety, the better)
Guidelines for choosing good passwords to make passwords harder to discover:
- Use a minimum password length of 20 or more.
- Include lowercase and uppercase alphabetic characters, numbers and symbols.
- Generate passwords randomly.
- Avoid using the same password twice.
- Avoid character repetition, keyboard patterns, dictionary words, letter or number sequences.
- Avoid using information that is or might become publicly associated with you.
- Avoid using information that your colleagues and/or acquaintances might know to be associated with you.
- Do not use passwords which consist wholly of any simple combination of the aforementioned weak components.
- Use of a password manager is recommended by the National Cyber Security Centerhttps://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/what-does-ncsc-think-password-managers.
How long does it take to crack a password?
According to Hive Systemshttps://www.hivesystems.io/blog/are-your-passwords-in-the-green, the time it takes a hacker to crack your password:
|Number of Characters||Numbers Only||Lowercase letters||Upper and Lowercase letters||Numbers, Upper and Lowercase letters||Numbers, Upper and Lowercase letters, Symbols|
|6||Instantly||Instantly||Instantly||1 sec||5 secs|
|7||Instantly||Instantly||25 secs||1 min||6 mins|
|8||Instantly||5 secs||22 mins||1 hour||8 yours|
|9||Instantly||2 mins||19 hours||3 days||3 weeks|
|10||Instantly||58 mins||1 month||7 months||5 years|
|11||2 secs||1 day||5 years||41 years||400 years|
|12||25 secs||3 weeks||300 years||2.000 years||34.000 years|
|13||4 mins||1 year||16.000 years||100.000 years||2m years|
|14||41 mins||51 years||800.000 years||9m years||200m years|
|15||6 hours||1.000 years||43m years||600m years||15bn years|
|16||2 days||34.000 years||2bn years||37bn years||1tn years|
|17||4 weeks||800.000 years||100bn years||2tn years||93tn years|
|18||9 months||23m years||6tn years||100tn years||7qd year|
According to CyberNewshttps://cybernews.com/best-password-managers/most-common-passwords/, here are the top 10 most common passwords worldwide:
All of the passwords above would be cracked instantly.