The average speaking rate changes dramatically for the purpose of your speech. According to the National Center for Voice and Speech, the average conversation rate for English speakers in the United States is about 150 wpm.https://virtualspeech.com/blog/average-speaking-rate-words-per-minute However for radio presenters or podcasters, the wpm is higher.
Here is a list of average speech rates for different activities.
Average speech rates
- Presentations: between 100 – 150 wpm for a comfortable pace
- Conversational: between 120 – 150 wpm
- Audiobooks: between 150 – 160 wpm, which is the upper range that people comfortably hear and vocalise words
- Radio hosts and podcasters: between 150 – 160 wpm
- Auctioneers: can speak at about 250 wpm
- Commentators: between 250- 400 wpm
So if you divide the 1000 (words) by 150 (wpm), you get 6.66 minutes which is 6 minutes and 40 seconds exactly.